Taking A Look…

Coming home for a quick lunch break, I sat on the stoop of my front porch while my dog child took a potty break. As I marveled, yet again, at how sweet and intelligent she was, I thought, how in the world can this K9 special baby girl be so aggravating and completely test my patience at times?? 😉  Continuing to watch her and taking a moment to exhale from the busyness of this hectic 10-hr workday, I looked in my yard and glanced out over the neighborhood. You know what? As I exhaled work tension, I somehow inhaled the sorted, but beauty of the journey to “here” and everything that represented where I am in this current moment.

Who would’ve ever thought that 6 years ago, I was brave enough to make a drastic life change that has me in this new setting; in this different kind of unexpected life?  Who would’ve ever thought that a high school courtship that led to marriage and a beautiful daughter would land in separation, divorce and living on my own for the first time in my life? Who would’ve ever thought that it would’ve taken entering into mid-life to realize that I am the only person, other than God, my parents, my sister, my sweet child, and a handful of others who without a doubt, no matter what I’ve done, no matter what I’ve said, who is going to unconditionally and consistently look out for my best interests?? Who would’ve ever thought that high school students, my great-niece and nephew (aka “The Twins”), would be so solid, so supportive and be there EVERY step of the way in me making a critical move across town? Who would’ve ever thought that a foundation built on love and mutual respect between two families would allow everyone to continue to love deeply and fellowship with one another after the two forces that brought everyone together were no longer one? Who would’ve ever thought that through it all, these two forces could maintain a friendship, mutual respect, and continue to be supportive of each other–no hate, no animosity, just “good” in every way that matters? You never know where life will take you or what roads you’ll have to travel to get there.

Soaking in the independence that I sometimes take for granted, I felt a sense of peace. Peace in knowing that through the entire journey, I was never alone. Peace in knowing that for the remainder of this journey, there is no separation or divorce from God… His love for me and mine for Him is unconditional and eternal. I can never move from His presence. Thank you, Lord!!

Sitting here on this three-step stoop, experiencing the highest heat index of the day, perspiring from the muggy atmosphere and humidity, I’m reminded again that thankfulness is never overrated! I’m thankful for this little ole house in the country, where I can hear a rooster crowing early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I’m thankful for the shrubbery that has some pretty good indicators of negligence. I’m thankful for the blinds that still need repair, that have a WSSU hand towel covering the hole created by one of Khloe ‘ s moments of anxiety.  I’m thankful for the settled spirit that begins to come over me when I drive into the long driveway…well, unless there’s a green tree frog nearby!! Lol

Yes, I’m taking a reflective and gratitude look….
~I’m taking a look at faith.
~I’m taking a look at those infamous storms that landed me here–although some were just thunder showers. Some were hit-and-miss mini-lightning strikes and I certainly can’t dismiss the many days and years of bright sunshine.
~I’m taking a look at Grace.
~I’m taking a look at endurance.
~I’m taking a look at favor.
~I’m taking a look at believing.
~I’m taking a look at hope in the things to come.
~I’m taking a look at the love God has for me–just a simple country girl from Bertie County in North Carolina.

Above all, I’m taking a look at what God has done for me! As I thank Him, I look up and smile with reverence and gratefulness!! As my mom always says, “Just look at God!” You know what?? At this very moment, Mama, I’m taking a look at Him, and He is incredible!!

Peace & Blessings,

Lisa B

9 Comments Add yours

1. Deitra says:

Another inspiring, well written testimony from a very sweet witness to the goodness and faithfulness of our amazing God!

Liked by 1 person

2. Jean the Bean says:

I Thessalonians 5:18 says: In everything give thanks; for this is the will of Christ Jesus concerning you. I am so truly happy to see that no matter your circumstance, you continue to give Him (who is able to keep us from falling) praise and thanks. And I must confess that all those times I tried to scare you with the little green frogs, I was and still am afraid of them myself! You were just so funny when I would say, “There’s a frog!” LOL!
    Love You Sis!

Liked by 1 person

3. Christa McClain says:

Thank you for your willingness to be up front and personal. In doing so, you have blessed others. Our testimonies should never be gifts for which are not opened. You are one of the most selfless individuals that I have come across. Continue to enjoy the over flow!

Liked by 1 person

4. Nikki B. ❤️ says:

Each post Auntie sends me into a more reflective moment. Your transparency speaks truth & heart and why I love you dearly. While this week started out with some anxiety from the many inevitable unknowns…it has turned out to be one of the best weeks I’ve had in a minute…”Look at God” and won’t He do it just when we need it. 🙌🏽

Liked by 1 person

5. Shameeka Wade says:

WOW! Just look at God! He continues to AMAZE me everyday! Cherry Girl every time you post a blog, I say to myself” this one is my favorite” and you go post something better and better, and as the old saints would say you keep getting mo better and mo better! LOL THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!

Liked by 1 person

6. Alonzo willis says:

Awesome powerfully spoken, may God continue to use you.

Liked by 1 person

7. Deon Tucker says:

That is wonderful. Hit home for me, I am going through very similar circumstances but totally opposite on the animosity. Keep up the wonderful writing.

Liked by 1 person

8. VBMoody says:

Wow!!! So deep, thought provoking & relevant to my life at this stage! Thanks Auntie for the reminder to exhale & to bask in glow of HIS provisions. I too am THANKFUL!!

❤️ Shenia

Liked by 1 person

9. Carolyn Johnson says:

Amazing Grace…thank you Woman of God for sharing your heart. This really blessed me. It’s a journey very similar to mine, but God! His Agape love is Sufficient! Love You with my whole heart! Peace and continued blessings!❤

Liked by 1 person

Thank you for your comment! Your support of "The Cherry Vine" is appreciated.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s