Sign Me Up….

So amazing how a simple act results in prolonged thoughts that turn into spiritual uplift…

A good friend, really in an effort to be supportive, inquired about how to follow “The Cherry Vine.”  Excitement kicked in, and immediately, I began to rattle off, “It’s simple, just click on Follow …” I ended the quick blurb of instruction with, “…then, just click Sign Me Up”.  With absolutely no hesitation, the friend began singing an old spiritual. I don’t know the official song title, but it goes a little something like this:

Sign me up, for the Christian jubilee.
Write my name on the roll.
I’ve been changed since the Lord has lifted me.
I wanna be ready when Jesus comes…

As my friend belted out a verse, someone else, unexpectantly, sang the next verse. This exchange continued and in no time, we had a full-blown collaboration!

There were a few of us gathered that morning— Folk who typically wouldn’t have been a part of such an impromptu performance. We all had a great laugh, and went about our normal daily routines. It was, undoubtedly, an unforgettable event, something that I’m sure will be a “kodak” moment for all of us who were in that room. It was morning comic relief, that in reflection, will always bring about a chuckle and a smile.

As I mentally moved beyond that moment, for some reason that song continued to ring clearly in my head. A few weeks later, I still found myself singing or humming those tunes at any point—during the morning, anytime during the day or in the quiet moments of the evening. Couldn’t seem to “shake” it, as somehow the words, the melody, made my heart feel good.

Confused, I began to question:  What’s going on? Why is this happening? What is up with this song? It’s just an old song!  Then, out of nowhere, I started to play the lyrics slowly in my head and for the first time, those words massaged my heart in a more intense way. It was a “wow” moment!  I’m sure, you like me, have sung a thousand songs, especially those gospel songs/hymns that we learned growing up, without giving a lot of thought to what the songwriter was truly ministering. We’ve memorized every word, every pause, every high note for years—just singing our little hearts out!

As I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that music has always spoken to my spirit,  it finally made sense! I now know why the events of that morning happened. That morning had purpose. I needed to be reminded of what those sweet lyrics conveyed. I needed a reminder in a manner that pierced my soul in a different kind of way. I needed a reminder of when and why change occurred in my life.  When? I had been changed since The Lord had lifted me. Why? Because, no matter what, no matter how undeserving, I really wanna be ready when Jesus comes.  Plain and simple language, in a special delivery, by some cherry-picked folk! They actually renewed my signature and I’m grateful!! You know who you are 🙂

So, when that tune stays with you and you just can’t seem to “shake” the words, the melody, no matter the genre of music, it could be a message, a gentle reminder of something extremely important!

Peace & Blessings,

Lisa B

7 Comments Add yours

1. cecelove24 says:

Yesssss Aunty!!! Music speaks to me crazy loud!!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Adrianne says:

Wow, you better go head now!!!

Liked by 1 person

3. Sandra Chisholm Raynor says:

This is a testament that hymn’s were created to inspire us and that through the Holy Spirit, people that wrote these hymns were truly used by God! I always tell my daughter not to look at hymns as music for old people. If she truly listens to the words she will see that hymns have so much meaning and that someday by & by, she will understand it. Thanks for sharing your message, maybe someone else will understanding the importance of hymns by reading your blog!

Liked by 1 person

4. Sherice says:

I agree with you Jaquita. I love that song, We used to sing it at Indian Woods Church. Thanks Lisa again for your inspirations.

Liked by 1 person

5. Gloria Jones says:

Once again Miss Lisa a prophetic word inspired by thy Almighty. God is using you in a mighty way. I love reading your blog. So uplifting. Keep it coming

Liked by 1 person

6. Shameeka Wade says:

This has to be one of my favorite post because it tickled my humorous spirit! I was having dinner with one of the Cherry Jubilee’s and the blog post came up of course. I was having dinner with my Godmother and I even shared the VINE with her. It’s great to have a Tool of inspiration to share with others!

Liked by 1 person

7. Jaquita Cherry-Richardson says:

You can usually look for me to comment on your reads …either face to face or in your comment block…I have to let the cat out the bag, since I was one of the persons singing that song. It was a funny moment because I didn’t know ANYONE knew that song unless they were from Bertie. You teased me about it ALL day. I had no idea that it would stick with you in such a manner. I see that even GOOFING OFF can sometimes be inspiring. #lovelaughlive

Liked by 1 person

Thank you for your comment! Your support of "The Cherry Vine" is appreciated.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s